To learn about the things you like to do, your strengths, your weaknesses, and why those are important
How are you feeling right now?
Questions Before you Begin
Today’s lesson is all about Self Awareness. What do those words mean? Self Awareness. Let’s break it down. What does self mean?
Self is just another word for you. Like the word mySELF...self is a word for a person and today that person is you. Now, does anyone know what awareness means? That’s a big word.
Awareness is just a big word that means to know or learn something. So today, we are going to learn all about you. There are so many things that we can learn about you. Maybe we can learn what things you like, maybe something you are really good at, or maybe even something you need help with. All of us are different. We may like different things, be good at different things, need help with different things, and that is okay. It is really important to know all of these things. Let’s learn why.
Watch Will.i.am and Seasame Street sing "What I Am"
Discuss After Watching
Explain to students that we are each unique and special.
The students will design their own cupcake, then write or draw what makes them special and unique.
Check for Understanding
Shake It Up
1. Let's pretend to put magic glue on the bottoms of our feet and glue them to the floor.
2. Can you wiggle your knees and keep the bottoms of your feet flat on the floor?
3. Let's pretend that we are moving our bodies to the sound of a drum, keeping out feet glued to the floor. Make big movements when you hear loud drumming.
4. Make small movements when you hear quiet drumming.
5. What do you do if you hear fast drumming?
6. And if you hear slow drumming?
7. That's it! See if you can follow these sounds, and when the drumming stops, freeze.
8. Let's relax and feel our breathing for a few movements.