To learn how our interests and strengths can help us to learn what career we may want to have one day
How are you feeling right now?
Questions Before you Begin
What do those words Self Awareness mean? Let’s break it down. What does self mean?
Self is just another word for you. Like the word mySELF...self is a word for a person and today that person is you. Now does anyone know what awareness means?
Awareness is just a big word to mean to know or learn something. So today we are going to learn all about you. There are so many things that we can learn about you. Maybe we can learn what things you like, maybe something you are really good at or maybe even something you need help with. This is important to know because one day when you grow up, you are going to have a career. You have to know what things you like or your strengths because you want to make sure that your job is something you like.
Paws in Jobland
Log in to Paws in Jobland using the district access code AK01773. Allow the students to explore the site.
Students will take the Job Finder interest quiz. When they are finished, the website will highlight "buildings" in Jobland that correspond to different career paths. The students can explore the buildings, play games, etc. to learn more about these career paths.
Discuss After Watching
Each of us have unique qualities.
Play the Self-Awareness Dice Game with a friend or family member and learn more about each other.
Check for Understanding
The Big Picture
1. Imagine an Elephant in your mind. What if you were asked to touch one part of an elephant with your eyes closed and guess what you were touching? Would you be able to guess correctly?
2. If you touched only the elephant's trunk, what would you think it was?
3. If you touched just the elephant's leg, what would you think it was?
4. If you touched only the elephant's tusk, what would you think it was?
5. If you touched just the elephant's ear, what would you think it was?